This years list started out as things I had learned this year and very quickly turned into a list of random things I think about. Some very mundane and not important in the slightest. But here it is none the less.
1. I am a stuffer. My house usually looks clean, but don't look in the closets or drawers.
2. My house DESPERATELY needs a deep clean but I keep putting it off
3. I love to make list. On paper the old fashion way. Shopping list, chore list, anything. I like to put a single neat line through it and see it completed.
4. I need to slow down and enjoy the journey. I seem to hurry through even the fun things. Dave often jokes that even tho he has longs leg, I keep up with him on walks easily because I have determination.
5. Pineapple chunks irritate me. I want rings or tidbits.
6. Very glad I started texting. It gives me time to think about my answer and how to word my response. And I can ask just one question without feeling like I need to chitchat.
7. In all my projects I know exactly what I want my end result to look like, but often lack the knowledge, skill, or patients to do it. Then I get frustrated.
8. When making treats for the family I only make 1/2 a batch. This way I can enjoy with out having it in the house long term. I only make the whole thing the first time I try something new, when we are having people over, or going somewhere that I can take it.
9. Natalie taught me how to make my own deodorant. I have been using it for about 6 months now, and love it.
10. I love to buy new notepads to make list, but about 1/2 way through I try to use it quickly because I want a new neat pattern.
11. Everybody needs something they are known for. Something that they get to do with out being copied. Something they can be complimented for and feel good about. Imitation is not always the best form of flattery IE: Amber, I think of cupcake making, Natalie, I think of nutritional information, Cora, I think of gymnastics. Maybe that is not how they think of themselves, but I really think this is important. It helps us feel better about ourselves and to like ourselves.
12. I am not as strong as I used to be:(
13. There are so many many pros and cons about this move. It will be good for our family life to see my husband every night, we will be able to help with the farm easier, I can't wait to live in my house, but I don't want to go. I don't want to make new friends. Honestly it really scares me to do this.
14. I can barely make it through a romance novel. I need a good mystery or biography.
15. Being Primary President has not yet taught me to love little children. I have learned to appreciate some of their situations, but mostly I am just more irritated with the lack of reverence and respect. I may be in a very long time:)
16. I love getting things in the mail. Nobody mails things any more, it makes me sad. I want to start mailing card again. It was getting a bit expensive tho. Maybe I could make my own (tho I have limited supplies right now). Maybe I could just do birthday, or just for everyone 6 and up. I don't know, I need to think about it more. But I do love old-fashioned snail mail.
17. I tend to jump on my kids when they do something wrong, but glaze over the many, many wonderful things they do. I am trying to recognize more the positive things they do and give compliments and thank yous to them when deserved.
18. I am really scared of getting in another car accident.
19. I am petrified that something will happen to Dave.
20. I worry that my kids are going to fall away. I try to help them to recognize when they feel the spirit, so they can gain their own testimonies, but I have no idea what tests are ahead for them.
21. I know I grew up in the 80's and that is the style that is back, but some of it I REALLY don't get. Yoga pants to the mall, pajamas to school, letting your bra straps hang out on display, the leggings. I could give you and entire post on my thoughts on leggings. Biggest pet peeve: SO inappropriate for church. Leggings does not make a very short skirt modest. It is still short. And I don't get the scarf craze. I feel like I am being chocked everytime I see one.
22. If I could go back to high school, I might choose a few different friends. I wish I could have seen people then how they are now, or maybe is that like seeing people like Christ sees them? Not to judge? Have they changed or me? Or have we all matured?
23. I have taught myself to knit again. Natalie has tried to teach me to croquet. I am going to need a few more lessons:)
24. I am a little obsessed with mason jars. Any size. I use them to decorate, for cups, for gifts, to store things, for crafts, oh and for canning.
25. My girls tease me all the time about noises I make when I draw. I think it is because I am so bad at it, I make fun of myself. No talent there whatsoever.
26. Natalie found a great book and I got one on essential oils. I have a little collection of oils now and use them regularly.
27. I am not fast anymore either.
28. Sometimes it is not easy to follow the answer you get when you pray about things. We prayed about this move and got the answer that is was OK to go. As above mentioned there are many pros and cons. My biggest con is that Cora has to leave these girls. These are the greatest friends in the world. Sometimes it physically hurts me to think about taking her away. I know that sounds overly dramatic and weird, but it is true. They all have great families, great values, and have the best time together. I never worry about anything with them. Respectful to adults, helpful, and easy to be with. I think this is going to be the hardest thing I have done as a parent so far, and I will always wonder how it will effect her and the rest of her live. I am trying to trust the answer I got, but sometimes I really cry for her. Cora is being brave, but once in a while she will says something that lets me know it is killing her also.
29. The best time to shop at Costco is Friday mornings at 10:45.
30. I run harder, faster, and longer, on my treadmill if I have a good 45 min mystery to watch.
31. I love basketball. We attend every game we can and love to watch the Pronghorns. I think we will go to games even when all our kids are gone and not playing.
32. Coaching elementary basketball is hard. Everyone wants to bring the ball down. Everyone wants to have them passed to. Everyone wants to shoot. Basically everyone thinks they are a one man team. We will go over and over positions, passing, and dribbling in practice and game time it is like you haven't said a word.
33. Blake loves working with his hands. You give the boy a hammer and some nails, or a saw, or any craft things and he is kept busy for hours. He also likes his DS and Wii a little to much for my taste.
34. Cora is already stressing about what she wants to do the rest of her life. She has started taking analyze tesst to see what she would be best at. All her answers are in the arts department. Costume design, set design etc. Things that are very hard to break into.
35. Leah is starting to help more. Once in a blue moon she will even do things before I ask. She cant wait to babysit so she can earn money.
36. Right now I have a very good relationship with my kids. They tell me things. They are not embarrassed to be with me. Cora's friends have even said they enjoy it:) They are mostly obedient, even if it is not always the first time. I hope this continues and that we will develop together and grow stronger as a family.
37. Lastly I have learned that making a list every year may not have been the best tradition to start. I am not sure I can keep coming up with new ideas and it is getting longer and longer the older I get.
Now I am off to enjoy a wonderful afternoon with my mom and sisters that live in Canada. We are having lunch and hanging out. I will miss having Kristin there and Kita has said she might be just a little late and have wet hair since basketball is not over until 10:) Looking forward to this fun relax time.