Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Bear Lake

A year and a half ago my parents sent out an invitation to join them for their 50th wedding anniversary and my mom's 70th birthday celebration in Bear Lake, Ut.  They gave us all a lot of notice to arrange our lives so hopefully we would have the entire family there.  (We used to have July 1st always in HillSping.  We just knew we were getting together then, but this year it was different)  Well then Covid happened.  We really were not sure how many of us we going to be allowed to make it.  As it turned out everyone but Levi (on a mission), Justin (had to work),  Brynn (would not have been good for her) Leah, Cora, Ammon, (had to work and are Canadian) and Dave (Canadian not allowed through the border) made it.  Pretty impressive for 36 of us. Blake and I started out Wednesday morning.  They were not happy letting me through the border.  My passport has expired, and Blake of course is Canadian, but he is a minor so was allowed to travel with me.  It was touch and go, I was sure they were not going to let us, but after some grumbling she couldn't deny me entrance.  On our way we went. It was a long hot drive.  I enjoyed spending the time with Blake.  He drove half of the way.  We had downloaded some mysteries to listen to and talked a lot.  We stopped in Idaho Falls at Reed's Dairy for milkshakes and a stretch. We were the last to arrive.  Mom had sloppy joes ready for us and lots of good fruit.  Josie's family had lots of fruit trees and it was all delicious. 
That night we played a few games, got sleeping and bathroom arrangements sorted and just relaxed.  The house my parents found was really nice.  Beautiful view, lots to do, lots of room.  It was great.

 Thursday morning we went to the beach.  Steve brought hot dogs to BBQ for us all.  Along with everyone's, chips, fruit, vegetables, and treats.  Kita had rented a pavilion for us all. Cannon, Nicole, and McKay had brought their Stand Up Paddleboards for us all to try.  It was fun.  Everyone shared and took turns.  Steve rented some jet skis and Blake had a blast with those.  We mostly swam, snacked, talked and hung out.

Thursday night for dinner was Taylor and Kita's night.  They made chicken fajitas and they were excellent.  I have always loved how dinner time is a family event.  Everyone helps, whether it is your night or not, with prep,  cooking, and clean up.  We all just stick together until it is all done.  All the kids get along, never any fighting or anger.  It is wonderful.

Thursday my parents had a special FHE.  We do this every reunion.  Levi had made a slide show of my parents 50 years and then everyone was asked to tell a favorite memory and bare their testimony.  Those that couldn't make it submitted a video for Cannon to play.  The reminiscing and spirit were awesome.  My parents have been true examples of love, forgiveness, hard work, service and kindness. and it shows in the stories everyone told and the unity we feel. We then surprised them with T-shirts.  Kita had the idea and Taylor mostly designed them, Kita and Nicole got them made.  Taylor decided black and red for HillSpring colors, Wayvel brand and then we each had the number that we entered the family on the back.  My parents loved it.  Us siblings had a gift for them and then they surprised us with a finished copy of their history for each kid and grandkid.  I very much enjoyed reading it.



Friday was beach day again.  We got going a little slower as we spent most of the morning just hanging out and talking with each other.  The tent that Cannon and Nicole brought was a life saver.  I would not have been able to stay out long with out it.  We took left over fajitas to the beach and lots of fruit, vegetables and snack again. 

Kids played in sand, men and teen boys played frisbee in the water, we SUPed and swam.  Another great day.


Friday dinner was Nicole, Natalie and I.  Nicole did pulled pork. Taylor did a run to the store for some stuff for Brody and Kita, Natalie and I jumped in for the ride.  We had no shoes, just going along.  We did a little tour of Bear Lake.  On our way back I saw Blake on the side of the rode with Colton and then we saw Kailey.  I was a little surprised thinking how did they get down here.  Kailey had decided to keep with tradition and take the two teens on a short teen night and got them milkshakes.  I thought it was so sweet of her to think of them even though she isn't a teenager anymore.  They didn't have licenses, but she wanted to still do it. 

Cannon had brought the stuff to do our traditional sundowner.  Something we have done ever since we all went to Africa. 
We stayed up to late and didn't want it to end.  The next morning Blake and I were the first to leave. We had an appointment in Great Falls for our Covid test to get back through the border.  We tried to clean as much as we could, but needed to leave.  Everyone finished clean up after we had left.  We made good time and switched off driving again.  Got our test and through the border, did our other test and were free to go. It had been way to long since we had gotten together and I was sad that Dave and the girls couldn't come.  I did enjoy my time with Blake and my family.  More memories made, traditions carried on and a truly wonderful time to relax and be together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment