Friday, September 15, 2017

A few thoughts...

A few weeks ago I got a text from a good friend asking me if I would mind praying for her dad.  Of course I would not mind.  I felt honored that she asked me.  We had heard rumors that this family didn't like Mormons much when we first moved in.  But slowly over the years we have built a nice relationship with them.  She kept me up to date on his progress and again text me shortly after he passed.  I have only met this man once and he was wonderful.  To be trusted by this friend and to have her confident in our prayers as well was a wonderful experience for our family. 

There have been many fires raging through B.C. this summer.  Last week it started moving close to where I grew up.  The loss and devastation for many is more than I can comprehend.  I keep trying to tell myself that if my house burnt down it is really just stuff.  But I haven't convinced myself yet.  I waited a long time for my home and I can't imagine starting over.  It is more than a house to us, it was a family project.  We sweat and worked and froze and sacrificed.  Every wall and floor we did with our hands. Since Tuesday, this picture has gone all over FaceBook and Instrgram.  It has taken me a few days to track down who it came from.  (I am a huge believer in giving photo credits, but I won't rant on about that today)  It was taken from a Savanna Norton in Cardston.

I love this picture.  It just embodies so much.  The smoke behind and the light of the temple.  What do I need to focus on?  What is most important in my life?  Even though things are tough and dark we have hope, we have light.  The fires are so destructive.  But from my far distance there is a beauty in the fire.  So many pictures I would have like to share here, but I couldn't find original source.  Raging towards me it would be terrifying, but looking at pictures I see the renewal that will come.  The land will renew itself.  There will be a raw beauty as it comes and refeshes and builds itself again. And we will get to witness it.  If I was an articulate person I could let you know all the emotion that I feel with this picture.  

Leah is in CALM right now.  Their assignment this week was to  find an apartment, build a grocery list, and a few other thing that they will need after they graduate.  She was in a partnership with a friend.  After about a 1/2 hour the friend said she was not finding anything.  Leah already had 4 places and her groceries done.  So they started talking about how Leah had found things so fast.  It was all through church sites.  They talked about how Cora already has a group of friends up there and things she is involved with.   The friend commented how her sister moved up and it took her 3 years to get to know people.  Then said convenient our church makes everything.  She was very impressed.

So with all these situation the last week and so much devastation around us, I have been extra thankful for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I am so thankful for the knowledge of life after death I have and for the peace and comfort we have.  I can't imagine going through this life not knowing that my Savior is there for me and that he loves me. Through Him we get to renew ourselves, make ourselves better and become what He wants us to.  It was so much easier letting Cora go, knowing that she was moving in with good people and that she had an instant family and people to rely on.  She would have Home Teachers and friends that have the priesthood if she need anything.  Through hard times we can rely on our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  We have ward members and faith.   We know all will be well.  Look to the light!

1 comment: