Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Grandma's Feather Bed

Haha not actually a feather bed, but.....
Years ago, years like maybe 10, maybe more. I don't remember.  But years ago I went to Vernal with my parents and Natalie to help my Grandma Southam move out of the house she had lived in my entire live.  Almost all the aunts and uncles were there and lots of cousins I haven't seen in years.  It had been many years since my grandpa passed away. It was a really fun week.  I have always loved being together with my mom and her sisters.  They can talk no stop and laugh and cry and laugh again.  No subject is taboo and it was fascinating as a kid to sit in the front room and just listen.  My grandma was getting less mobile and she had decided to move in with my aunt Connie.  So a lot of her things had to go and were divided up between her kids.  We had lines up the stairs to clean out the storage room and every nook and cranny was gone through and cleaned.  It was a huge job and every moment was so fun, because the Southams are just great people to be around.  At one point there were these brown metal bed frames that no one wanted and were going to be thrown out.  I decided I wanted some of my grandparents heritage and thought it would be awesome to make a bench for my front porch with a bed frame.  I knew exactly how it was going to work. After the week of cleaning and getting everyone loaded up I saw that my dad had grabbed both bed frames.  I really did not want both but he wouldn't put them back. They were already in the trailer.  So home to Canada we go.  Dad stored the frames for me at the farm until I had a place to put them, or rather the one that I wanted.  Another few years go by and my dad brings them up to where I now live and we store them.  Every summer I ask Dave to make my bench, even asking Blake a few time as he is great at welding as well.  But it never got done.  This last fall as we are putting Blake's stuff into storage, we realized that we had two double beds and two queen beds that have mostly been given to us.  I thought the doubles would fit perfect in the big room upstairs.  And suddenly I was like wait.....I thinks those bed frames from Grandma are doubles.  We went and measured them and sure enough they were.  Dave sanded them and painted them white.  I wanted quilted bedspreads to fit the vibe and viola.  So all these years later I am finally thankful that no one listened to me and now I have these beautiful beds that cost almost nothing. 

Talking to my mom today we figured they are at least 75 yrs old.  I love them.  So while no, not a feather bed, they still have so many memories for me.  My Grandma had a pink bedspread with these flowers that felt like a towel on it and a white on on the other.  We would sleep in these beds when we went to Vernal to visit them.  We would go down the dark scary stairs to the basement and sleep. I remember the pink bathroom and the pink mushroom stool that we would sit on to do our hair and watch grandpa shave. For purple being grandma's favorite color there sure was a lot of pink. The big trough that grandpa would fill with water so we could go swimming.  It would cut up our feet on the bottom but we just kept swimming.  Going to the crik. Eating around the table in the kitchen.  Grandma's cement laundry room and hanging clothes to dry outside.  I remember driving for 12 hours and when we would finally take that final turn at the 7-11 that took us back out of town on the last rode to our grandparents how excited we would be that we had finally made it. I come from great people and have so many wonderful memories that I will continue to tell my kids and their kids as they sleep in Grandma's Bed. 

1 comment:

  1. The beds look wonderful. What a great story to share with your grandkids someday. Lalainia

    ReplyDelete