Monday, October 31, 2022

Halifax 2 (Which is actually PEI )

Saturday had been the day I was most excited about.  I was going to Green Gables. It was a 3.5 hour drive each way.  We had rented a mini van so we could all travel together.  Good thing as Frank needed the work truck while we were all gone. We picked Ammon up after 10 and drove.  I had thought he would sleep the whole way, but he only slept about 15 mins two times.  We dipped into New Brunswick a bit and went over the Confederation Bridge.  It is a 13 km bridge over the ocean that connects NB to PEI.  It was really neat.  Right on the other side we went to the visitor center and got some maps, used the bathroom, ate some snacks, and climbed around. 
Honestly I was SO disappointed with Green Gables.  I had so badly wanted to stand in the kitchen and say, '20 lbs of brown sugar'  It was a neat spot and I love going through old houses, so I was trying to be ok with it.  But I felt I had dragged everyone on this very long journey for a house.  I wanted the whole movie set and the lake and the haunted forest.  I had great expectations.  It was the inspiration for the books, but I felt it was very much advertised wrong.  Should not have been billed as Anne of Green Gables, but Where LLMontgomery who wrote Anne of Green Gables got her inspiration.  Very different. Everyone was nice about it and we did explore some.  We did try raspberry cordial, which was good.
We had some more snacks and drove a beautiful route along the ocean.  Dave thought it would be fun to take the ferry back, rather than the bridge.  I was nervous of getting sea sick and it was a bit longer.  But it was a great idea.  The ferry totally made up for Green Gables.  Blake said it was the best part.  The sun came down as were were on the ferry.  The sunset was beautiful, it was great to walk and stretch our legs and talk. 




It was a bit chilly and we stayed inside the ferry for part of the ride.  After docking we still had a couple hours to get back.  Everyone was quiet and tired.  Most of the food was eaten and it was very dark. I felt like listening to the Test Drive from How to Train Your Dragon.  As soon as I hit play, Leah was like Yes, this is the exact vibe.  The girls proceeded to send me songs, some from the boys as well, while I interjected some.  Despite my earlier disappointment it ended up being one of my favorite days. It was so fun chilling and listening to music.  Seeing the requests come in and everyone singing along.  It was a gorgeous drive with my awesome family.  LOVED every moment.  Memory making moments. When got back to the Airbnb, we just dropped them and went back to the hotel.  Dave and Blake went for a swim.  I pulled Dave off the slide to talk to Braydon and then we all waited a very long time for Leah.  But more on that later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment