Monday, April 17, 2023

Seattle 1

I wanted to take a last trip with Blake before he starts working for the summer.  I had wanted a quick hike away somewhere and it turned into a weekend trip to Seattle.  I found wicked cheap plane tickets to Vancouver, hotels with my airmiles, and a discounted car rental.  We left Thursday night.

We left Vancouver after breakfast and travelled to Seattle.  I will never be an electric car person, but the rental we got was brand new and a hybrid.  Blake was so fascinated with all the things it did that he was reading the manual and missing the sights.  But we went Vancouver, Seattle, all over for 2 days, Langley and back to Vancouver and still had gas in the tank.  Barely cost us to fill up.  It was sweet.  We were a little early for the temple, so we stopped at Target to get Blake a swimsuit since he had forgotten one.  Funny but we never ended up using it.  So I guess he just got a new suit.  We got to the temple and walked around a bit.  It was so beautiful and green already.  They had Japanese Cherry trees, which are some of my favorite. Wish I could grow them here.

The temple workers were a little unorganized, but we got our clothes, names, and found where we were supposed to go.  We did the names the temple gave us and then saw an elderly couple come in.  I heard the workers talking about how they wanted to witness their family names being done.  I assumed I was going to be needed and waited to change.  Blake got to baptize Dave for the couple's men names and he baptized me for the girl names.  There were some German names that Dave got to help with the pronunciation of and after the lady gave Blake a letter telling the story of one of the names he did.  It was a neat experience and I was glad we were there at the time to do it. 

After we grabbed something to eat at Dick's burgers.  It was a neat place, still kind of a drive up window type thing with cheap prices. They had a very limited menu and you couldn't change anything.  Very streamlined and fast.  After, since it was a beautiful day, we decided to do outside stuff. We went to the Locks.  That was really neat.  We got to see a seal and watch a lot of boats go through the locks.  As these boats, mostly big yachts, were going through, Blake was commenting how it was such a different life then us. We wanted to know where they were going and how long they stayed.  It was all so neat. 



We could have stayed for hours.  We eventually walked around and went to the fish ladders.  I saw my first rat and was very appreciative of where I live.  Those things are nasty and big.  By this time the boys were getting a little hungry.  We scrambled in a panic to find a charger before my phone died.  It was crazy, the car had new chargers, but nothing that fit my phone.  Blake had a portable, but my battery dies so fast, I had already used it as well.  If it died we literally had no idea where or how to get anywhere.  I didn't even know where or what our hotel was since it was all on my phone.  Typical technology is great until it's not. (Head smack) We took pictures of the directions and airdropped them to Dave, just in case my phone died on the way.  We did make it at 1%.
After crisis averted we went to Pike Place Market. It was after most of the shops were closing and decided to go again in the morning.  We walked down the street and found a place to eat.  The Seatown Rub Shack was sooo good.  Highly recommend.  After eating we strolled around the town and found some beaches.  It was so nice out. 

We were very tired after all our walking and with our new charger working and a long drive up a very very steep hill with multiple read lights, we made it to our hotel.  Watched a tad of TV and had a snack then sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment