Monday, January 25, 2021

Another year begins

Well really that was almost a month ago.  January 2021.  Time is flying.  Cora and Leah are still loving Edmonton.  Things opened up a little again last week and they have been taking full advantage of that.  We are so glad that they skate (and ski)  It seems that skating is THE activity this winter up there.  They go skating a couple times a week, with friends, on dates, or with each other.  They also tried snowboarding on the little Rabbit Hill last week.  Did really good for their first try.  Leah said it was surprisingly way better on her knees. And plan to hit Marmot Basin again this weekend.
Cora has started school.  It is a lot of terminology this first part and she is studying lots every night. Leah is thankful that she was able to stay on at Bath and Body Works but wishes that she was getting more hours.  Everyone is wanting more and less people are coming in cause they are ordering online.  They are all hurting, but she is getting a couple each week and feels blessed for those. Cora is still at Gap and getting ok hours, but same boat as Leah. They will start rotating in person church in February and the Institute building is open again for YSA to hang out. 
Blake was glad to get back to in person school and see his friends.  I am not missing driving at night in the cold and dark for basketball practice, but am really missing the games and tournaments.  As is Blake. He finished his first semester friday.  He had left a huge amount of school work to do and ended up on the computer for hours and hours each day, usually until at least 10 at night.  When he finally got all assignments caught up and handed in late last night he decided he didn't like doing school work like that.  Well thank goodness!  Cause I didn't like him doing it that way either. 
Dave and Blake have been skiing often. When the girls tried snowboarding they said Blake should come up and try with them.  Blake was laughing at Dave's reaction.  He said Dave looked very offended as he said, "no, I have an awesome ski buddy, you can't try until you move away.":) Blake has invited some friends to go this weekend.  Some of his friends haven't been for a few years. Blake was telling them that he doesn't even get a warm up run anymore, it is straight to the top.  But he will be nice and do few bunny runs with them this time.  Should be a fun day.  
As Blake is turning 16 this year he was ordained a priest a few weeks ago.  We were not sure what day it was going to happen, so he didn't tell anyone.  When he was sustained in church he looked around for Jared and his family, but they were not there.  He had hoped Jared could stand in the circle with him.  But he did have the other YM come in, Grandma Puzey, and Elsie and Morgan Smith. He was able to stand in the circle with the YM that was also getting ordained that day.  He said it was pretty neat.  He got to bless the next day and did a great job. And is excited for when temples open that he can now baptize.  He may have said something about dunking his sisters specifically.
We have had some car trouble this last week.  I only worked two days this month as I am just fill in, and those were the days that our car broke down.  Dave called me at 5 in the morning as he was on his way to work and I had to go tow him home.  It is going to be an expensive fix.  The next day he took the truck and Blake and I took the farm truck.  There were a lot of straps in the cab so I locked it.  Dave's truck only has one key to lock and drive it.  The entire rest of the dually is set up like his truck so I just thought the door locks were too.  And I only had one key.  Turns out it is not like his truck but like every other vehicle in the entire world.  Duh!  I had to call Jared to come rescue us.  I felt so bad, but he came right up to help us. Lesson learned. 
Work is going good for Dave.  He is doing many church callings right now.  Still executive secretary, now first councilor in the bishopric, still teaches, does the bulletin, and now is the back up for Sunday School.  But he doesn't mind and enjoys most of them. I enjoy the few hours I get of work each month, not wanting much more.  Still hoping to get to stop wearing a mask sometime soon :/  Finally learning to use Zoom as I have to start teaching RS soon.  But all in all things are ok.
I loved this picture of Dave and Blake checking the bulls water after church. I sent this picture to my family group chat and said they were checking bulls, my brother Cannon said he didn't know the FBI was that concerned about the  bulls, which I thought was hilarious.

And since I never take a picture of myself, I made sure to take one for our anniversary this year.
Oh yeah.  For Dave's birthday it was low key like we like it.  We had Myrna over for dinner the day before.  Then Monday on his birthday, Blake and I did all his farm chores for him so he could just relax when he got home that night. And made one of his favorite meals for him.  On our anniversary Dave surprised me with flowers and a new frying pan I really needed.  Blake was working on homework, we just stayed home, watched a movie and it was wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment