Thursday, August 20, 2020

Happy 15th

Blake had a great birthday.  He had given me a birthday list when I requested one a few months ago.  Top on his list was a Nintendo Switch.  Although he kept telling me it was other things.  But I knew. He had wanted one last year and almost sold his xbox to put some money towards it, but then last minute decided to keep it and just save longer.  We don't usually buy big gifts like that for birthdays, so Blake knew he wasn't getting one.  He made up a chart and was putting 15 percent of each of his paychecks towards it.  For his birthday he just asked that we donate some money for it.  Then he asked for lemonade, a game, a new cube, and because he thought he was funny a pegasus.  Among other things.  Every grocery trip he would ask if we had got his Switch yet.  Then he would smile and see how close he was to earning one.  He had also been checking online and in store every time he went to town.  They have been backordered for months. About mid July Dave and I were talking about how hard Blake works willingly and what a great kid he is. He said, "you know we don't pay him anything for all he does,  I think we should buy him the Switch" So we started looking.  We put our name on waiting lists and called several places. Nothing.  Every time was asked where we were on the list they said they didn't know where list was but take our names again.  At this point we were pretty sure there really was no waiting list.  I finally asked when the next shipment was for us to try back.  It was Aug 12.  His birthday.  I was told to call at 11:30 and they would let me know if one had come in.  I couldn't run to town that day, so I called.  Well a voice recording said that they were not taking calls anymore.  Great.  Dave left work to go check.  Sadly he texted me and said Best Buy was not a go.  :(  I made up a card for Blake and explained that we wanted to buy it for him as soon as one came in.  He requested Grandma P's sour cream enchiladas for dinner and a rubik cube cake.  Dave was trying to get off work early so we could go boating.  I had been working on his cake when Blake left for work.  He was concerned about how small it was going to be and kept bugging me about it.  I told him to trust me, don't worry about it and go to work.  Later I received this text from him which made me laugh. 

Dave let me know that he would not be able to leave when planned.  Dinner had a few more minutes before it was ready when he did get home so we opened presents first.  He got the cube he wanted and his standard lemonade.  As we set the table and got ready to eat, Dave went out to the car to get his lunch box and the paper he bought for me that day.  In he casual walks with a Nintendo Switch.  It tooks us all a second to realize what he had.  Blake was so excited and surprised.  He said he had gone to Best Buy and they told him truck was late.  He went back and hour later and it had arrived, but not unloaded.  Again an hour later he went back.  He just kept going till finally I guess he bugged them enough that they check the truck and had 11 Switches on it.  He said he would be back again and instead they text him and said they had one at the checkout for him.  He was determined to not leave town without it.  He surprised us all.  We then did quick cake and picked up grandma and out to the lake.

It was a bit to windy and cold.  We dropped at a beach for a while and it calmed down enough to have a good ski.  Still a tad chilly, but it was the girls' last night and Cora made the most of it.

 We had a great evening together.  Blake really is a fun kid.  He has grown up a lot this last year. And we have enjoyed the extra time we have gotten as everyone was home from school and seminary these last few months.  It has been fun to have him pass sacrament in our home and see his relationship with his sisters grow.  He is really going to miss them.  Happy 15th birthday Blakester.  So glad you are ours and we get to spend eternity with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment