Friday, August 7, 2026

Family Time

The much anticipated week of the year finally arrived.  Cora and her girls and Leah got here Monday late afternoon.  Leah was in charge of dinner that night and of course it was delicious.  Dave was feeding the pets at the farm for the week and after dinner he took Jane with him.  It was so funny to see this little girl stare that big dog up into the face and tell him to 'stay Buce' with her hand out.  And he listened to her. Braydon came out and had dinner with us Monday. After dinner most of us went for a walk as it was cooling down and nice to be out.
Cora had been piecing together some quilts she wanted to tie while we were together.  Tuesday morning we got them on.  We moved the furniture to one side of the front room with the quilt in the other half so if someone was cooking or sitting or whatever we could all still be together. We just hung out and quilted, Leah worked on her embrodiry, Dave worked in the yard, we took care of kids and read stories.  A fun lazy day. Jane and I went with Dave to check the cows water.  As we were pulling into the yard he suddenly slammed on the brakes.  I thought this odd and said uh you ok?  He said the tire just came off the truck.  Fell right off and rolled away.  We had taken the truck to town the week before and he had hauled the boat down with kids a few days before.  We were feeling very blessed that it happened at slow speed in our yard.  Didn't even wake Jane up. 
I had gotten a bunch of stuff to make dirty sodas all week for sundowners and that was fun.
Wednesday morning we took the boat to the lake and found our own private place to beach.  The little girls played in the sand and swam a bit.  Rhoda hates her life jacket.  Cora did some wakeboarding. We had a picnic lunch and had a grand time.  In the afternoon we came back and got everything cleaned up, Cora had dinner for us.  She had a game called Make it Meme.  We all logged into it on our phones and then we were sent memes that we had to put words to.  We made some very funny ones.  It was a fun game. 



I loved watching the little girls watch their mom wakeboard.  I wasn't able to get a picture, so the next day we were out I had Blake take it for me.  Jane was very encouraging.  Mommy stand up, mommy doing good. 


Thursday was another relaxing day. We put on the second quilt, straightened the house and played with chalk, hauled water, whatever we felt like.  I had a lot of people askewhat my kids were coming for and each time I just said nothing, we have no plans except being together.  And on Monday they were both on the way here and ran into some snags and I said hurry and get here so we can do nothing.  It was the best and so much fun.  We stayed up way to late talking every night.  Had a clothing exchange and kept the kids happy. 
I was in charge of dinner Thursday because my parents and the missionaries were coming.  Also Blake and Natalia were coming that day.  They had been with her family at Tally Lake. But the missionaries ditched us and Blake and Natalia got there after my parents left. 
Friday was up early so we could go back on the lake.  Blake was pretty sure had has broken his ribs and didn't think he could ski.  But after watching Cora he had to get up.  Cora was shaking her head and commenting how Blake looked bored out there.  He is just so comfortable hanging out, gliding along the water:)
We spent some time on the beach again and floated, had lunch and skipped rocks.
When we got back to the house Ammon was already there.  He surprised Cora by coming early.  Leah and Blake did dinner that night.  We had planned to watch an out door movie Friday and have FHE.  We needed to be up so early to go to the zoo the next morning that we just decided it was to late to stay up till the sun went down for a movie and to do it the next night.  We watched the old Robin Hood from Disney in the cool basement instead. Then stayed up chatting till after midnight anyways. Braydon came in time for dinner so we were all there.
Saturday was very early and the hottest day. But the zoo was fun and the girls loved the animals, which was the point.  Leah had told me a few times that they didn't have elephants anymore, I apparently did not listen until the day before.  I was excited for Jane to see those, but it was all good and she loved the hippos.  We were there much longer than I thought we would be.  Some one asked how long it was going to be and I said may be 3 hours, nope it was like 6.  We were hot, tired, and hungry.  We had taken lunch and eaten it thinking we would be home at 2.  4 we were still at the zoo and so everyone decided to head to Jerusalem Shawarma for dinner.  Braydon can't eat there and I don't like it so we had a quick bite when we got home. 



 I think may  naps were taken on the drive home.  It was too windy to do an outdoor movie Saturday night.  We got everything put away and some were doing clubs in the basement, Dave had some church things to get ready for church and some of us were just talking.  Dave declared he was going to bed but we needed to read scriptures still.  So we just started with whoever was there.  But everyone else trickled up and read with us.  It then seemed like a great time to have our FHE, instead of waiting till after church.  We asked 'what is an experience you have had in the last year that has helped you grow closer to Christ?' And had a beautiful discuss with our kids.  Spirit was there and you could feel the love.  It was really neat. Dave did not get to bed when he had planned, but it was worth it.  After we got the little ones in bed I had a lovely time hanging out chatting with my kids. 
Sunday was church and then Cora and Blake did Cafe Rio style tacos again. Excellent.  We had invited Myrna, but didn't see her all week.  Dave said she was not feeling well and stayed up with Lalainia. Dinner and dishes then Jane and Rhoda had a nap as we all played Make it Meme again.  Even Dave played.  Then Blake, Natalia, Leah and Braydon all headed home as Dave and I went to Avery's fireside.  He had just returned from the Philippines. Cora was staying one more night so she could just get groceries on the way home the next morning. On the way back Dave and I passed this couple carrying a blow up dingy, I noticed they were walking down the highway in bare feet.  Dave whipped around and we had them jump in and drove them a km to their campsite.  It was almost dark and they had already walked about a km.  Their feet were so sore.  I was glad we had turned around. When we got back we were pleasantly surprised to see that Ammon was still there.  We thought he left with the others.  We had a lovely time catching up on what is going on in their life and future plans.
It really was the best week.  I just think my kids are awesome.  We don't have to do anything special to have it be special. I know I say it often but I really do love to see how they are contributing to their communities and ward, how they get along and look forward to being together. Their testimonies and love for each other and how wonderful each couple treats each other. I am blessed beyond words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment